Thursday, October 14, 2010

this time i'll be bullet-points (i amuse me...)

I confess...I am feeling particularly rambly and random today. And you know that means you are treated to a bullet-point post....
  • Is it still an attack ad if the opponent would embrace everything in it? There's an ad now that one candidate runs noting the other compares himself to Rick Santorum and opposes a woman's right to choose. I do see the wisdom in the ad, especially in an area that is economically conservative but socially more liberal making a fertile "middle" group of voters. But the opponent wouldn't disagree with the statements...so it is still an attack?
  • I went to a small local supermarket today and felt jolted back in time. The aisles are tiny and they didn't need to scan my soda 12 packs (5 for $10 is why I went) even though they were different types...which surprised me since it meant an inability to track stock details.
  • I am awaiting a book shipment and re-reading Little Bee by Chris Cleave. I love the following passage:

On the girl's brown legs there were many small white scars. I was thinking,
Do those scars cover the whole of you, like the stars and the moons on your
dress? I thought that would be pretty too, and I ask you right here please
to agree with me that a scar is never ugly. That is what the scar makers
want us to think. But you and I, we must make an agreement to defy them. We
must see all scars as beauty. Okay? This will be our secret. Because take it
from me, a scar does not form on the dying. A scar means, I survived.

  • I am glad that bullying is getting so much attention. I went through years of it and it is horrid and awful and technology has made it all the more pervasive.
  • I am starting PT again next week. This is good. I hope they take my old PT up on his offer and call to chat with him. I liked him and think he worked to understand me, both in terms of the physical injury and my mental/emotional space around it. I did ask for a PT who'd understand an athlete/gym-rat and that is truly important to me. I think it makes for different goals than a worker's comp or elderly patient. It also means I know my body well and I appreciate someone who talks to me with that understanding.
  • Christine O'Donnell is NOT me. Even the people I vote for are NOT me. In some ways, I hope they are BETTER than me. I'm smart and a good person but don't think I'd be good in politics. I could take a candidate saying they'd "speak for me"...though even that seems limited since they speak for many more voices than just mine.
  • I think I may be done with CSI: Original. I like Nick and Greg but have been less of a Catherine fan and really can't stand "Dr. Ray." My reaction to him is a lot like my reaction to Goren on L&O: CI...pompous, know-it-all folks annoy me. It is even worse with Ray since he's actually a junior team member.
  • I am enjoying today's rain. Okay, I'm enjoying it now that I'm done my gym and store runs.
  • More bars/taverns should serve tater tots. And not fancy ones with truffle oil that cost $9. The tot is an underutilized side item.
  • You should "follow" my blog. Because I say so.

1 comment:

Lauren Starks said...

i just want to chime in on bullying. JB was suspended last Wednesday for "bullying."

Bullying can be an issue in every life situation you could ever find yourself. However, in this litigious society and with the current media-target on "bullying," school systems are looking to make an example at every turn (and their legal counsels are telling them to CYA at every incident.)

I'm not saying bullying is right, I just think there's a line at which parents/administrators/etc should have to get involved and the media is pushing that line to an unreasonable place. So much so that EVERYTHING becomes bullying (telling a 9th grader that "Freshmen Suck," in JB's case) and when there is a real problem (where bullying surpasses into hate crime/etc) - the resources are exhausted to the point that a real tragedy occurs.

I worry that we (collective we) have raised a generation of children who can't cope with minor teasing. (Obviously, teasing is a behavior that should be corrected by adults, but we should be teaching the teasee how to handle it better.) Many of the parents in the "hover" generation now have children who cannot stand up for themeselves for minor incidents.

I'm rambling too, huh.