Friday, November 20, 2009

values

I confess...I'm torn.

One of my most strongly held "political" views is the importance of protecting a woman's right to choose. I think this right is fundamental to women's equality, both in terms of economics and social respect. I very much believe the concept "If you can't trust me with a choice, how can you trust me with a child." I believe the vast majority of women hope to never need to resort to an abortion and that they do not make that choice lightly. I believe in "Prevention First" and would love there to never be any unwanted pregnancies. But I believe that the option simply must be there. For all women.

I also believe our health care system is broken. And that fixing it must be a top priority. It is fundamental. I don't have the magic formula, but it can't stay as is...

So, I'm torn. I don't know how to resolve the current debates in Congress. In my ideal, abortions would be covered just as other procedures. Heck, it's a sad way to think of it, but abortion is a LOT cheaper than a baby. But, I don't know what to say if the two values come into conflict. I don't know what to think about supporting a plan that limits a woman's choice, especially because the funding rules would have a broad impact on women across the board (i.e. not just those on public plans).

I know some of my readers are my conservative friends...this question is really more for those on my side of the aisle. If the funding restrictions are crucial to the passage of health care reform, should that be a necessary casualty or a deal-breaker?

No comments: